With just a month until Christmas, it’s time to begin your Christmas preparation. Do you know where that big platter is that you use every year? Is the spare room ready for guests? Do you have enough space for the Christmas turkey in the freezer? Have you hidden presents safely out of sight?
The holiday season is a time for family, friends, and fun. But it can be stressful, especially if your home isn’t ready. Self-storage can be a lifesaver during the Christmas season. We have compiled some top tips to help you prepare for Christmas.
Christmas Preparation Guide: 5 Top Tips
If you are expecting guests over the holiday season or planning a massive Christmas celebration at home, then Christmas preparation is essential! Here are some tips to ensure a stress-free festive season:
1. Begin your Christmas preparation by decluttering your home
Christmas can be an incredibly stressful time of year; we’re all trying to get the best gifts, plan holiday meals, and decorate the house while keeping everything organised. One key element often overlooked during Christmas preparation is decluttering your home.
Decreasing the amount of clutter in your home will make finding things more manageable, creating a calm atmosphere and allowing you to focus on more festive tasks. It’s essential to discard items that no longer serve a purpose and find a safe space to store items that do matter.
Finding a place for everything will help create an organised space and allow for stress-free Christmas preparations. Christmas storage at Space Centre will enable you to store your items that are taking up much-needed space and also provides a safe space for sentimental items that could break easily in the Christmas chaos.
2. Christmas preparation for your kitchen
Organising your kitchen before the festive season is a must, so you don’t have to rummage through cupboards and drawers to find your trusty roasting dish on Christmas eve. Decide what you need for the festive season and place each item in a designated spot.
Here are some helpful storage ideas to get your Christmas preparation started:
- Keep essential utensils in drawers within arm’s reach.
- Use drawer dividers or trays to keep your cutlery and utensils organised neatly.
- To save space, keep your large pots near the stove and fill them with smaller ones.
- Use wall-hanging rails, wire shelves, or door-mounted baskets to declutter your cupboards.
- Keep all of your carrier/shopping bags in one designated spot.
- Use cabinets with slide-out racks and carousel inserts to take advantage of awkward spaces.
- Declutter your freezer and fridge so there is lots of cold storage on Christmas day.
3. Don’t forget to hide your presents during your Christmas preparation
It’s that time of the year when your kids are on the hunt for their Christmas presents, and you’ll be surprised at how easily they will find them. Here are some places you should avoid hiding gifts if you have kids:
- In your wardrobe
- Under your bed
- In the cupboard under the stairs
- Kitchen cupboards and shelves
- Behind the sofa
- Chests of drawers anywhere in the house
- Inside the airing cupboard
Instead, get creative and try hiding gifts in the following spots:
- Old Christmas decoration boxes
- Inside sealed, mislabeled boxes, labelling them with “Tax Receipts” should deter them.
- Beneath floorboards
- Inside the tumble dryer
- In the bookcase behind big heavy books
- At a relative’s house
- In a short term Christmas storage unit at Space Centre
Christmas presents are a necessary part of Christmas preparation. Your children may even say they are the most important part, but they can also take up a large amount of space! If you have lots of presents for family and friends this holiday season, it may be more practical to hire a short term self storage unit for the holiday season.
For more tips on hiding gifts, we recommend reading this blog: Christmas Storage Tips For Hiding Presents.
4. Use Christmas Storage to prepare the spare room for guests
If you have guests coming to stay with you, it’s essential to ensure the spare room is presentable and safe, especially if you have elderly relatives staying with you. Check for anything that could cause them to trip, like small toys, bags or wires.
Another crucial part of Christmas preparation is putting away valuables, or breakable items guests might knock over on shelves or in cupboards out of reach. Place large items like old furniture, clothes, luggage, boxes and toys in a Christmas storage unit to make space for your guests.
Here are a few tips to make sure your guests feel right at home:
- Get a folding rack or multi-purpose bench to store their luggage and make more space.
- Ensure there are plenty of hangers and free space in the closet so they can unpack their suitcase.
- Roll up fresh towels and display them on the bed or place them on a towel rack
- If your guests are going to sleep on a sofa bed, ensure it’s comfortable and in good working order.
- Create a cosy feeling by adding a bedside lamp if you only have ceiling lights in your spare room.
- Add extra fluffy blankets and throws to make them feel at home and add a touch of luxury.
5. Make sure your family stays safe over the festive season
Christmas preparation isn’t just about ensuring your home is organised and ready for visitors; it’s also important to consider safety. Make sure all your Christmas lights are in good condition, check that the smoke alarms are working properly, and ensure your staircase is secure and clear of clutter.
Consider cleaning the chimney and be mindful of where you place candles around your home, as fires are common on Christmas Day. When you have children visiting, think about childproofing your home and make sure they know the rules so your family stays safe over the festive season.
For an in-depth look at safety in your home over the holidays, please read this blog: The Ultimate Christmas Safety Guide.
Christmas Preparation and How Space Centre Self Storage Can Help
Although the following Christmas storage ideas are great, a self-storage unit is the safest place to store your belongings. You can rent a small unit for larger items, such as bicycles or furniture, while a storage locker will work better for smaller objects. And remember to insure your belongings!
Christmas storage couldn’t be more straightforward! As you declutter and begin your Christmas preparation, simply place items taking up space in your self storage unit at Space Centre. Then when the festive season is over, you can take what you need back home.
Merry Christmas from Space Centre, and remember not to leave your Christmas preparation to the last minute!
We have storage units of all sizes, and if you’re unsure which size would be best for your needs, consult our Price and Size Guide. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need advice or have any questions.