Whether you’re going on a holiday of a lifetime, need to travel for work, or want to live the ex-pat lifestyle, the last thing you want is to worry about what to do with your belongings while you’re away. One of the most popular solutions is secure storage for short-term or long-term use. Simply pack your belongings, place everything inside your secure storage unit and enjoy your travels with much-needed peace of mind.
Secure Storage Solutions For Short Breaks and Gap Years
A simple definition of a gap year is taking some time off to travel abroad or do something you want. While it’s common practice for students, you don’t need to be at Uni or about to become one as adults of all ages can take a gap year, also referred to as a sabbatical. Whatever you want to call it, secure storage can help to keep your things safe whilst travelling.
It may be tempting to store your belongings in a friend’s garage or spare room if you’re going away for only a short time or don’t have much stuff to store. But do you really want to impose on friends and family? There are no guarantees that your belongings won’t get stolen, damaged or chewed by your best friend’s new puppy.
Self-storage is a fantastic low-cost alternative that offers flexibility and peace of mind. Not only does it allow you to store everything in one place, ready for your return but it also ensures that everything will be in the same condition as when you left – provided you packed everything properly.
Long-Term Secure Storage
If you’re away from home a lot or going on an extended holiday, renting out your own house is a great way to make some extra money while ensuring that your house appears occupied. However, if you don’t want tenants to be able to access your belongings, renting a secure storage unit is the most practical and affordable option.
You can store just a few personal belongings, such as ornaments, books, toys, photos and clothes or you can store everything but the kitchen sink. The amount of stuff you can store will obviously depend on the storage unit size and at Space Cente, we make it easy to choose by using van and lorry sizes as a guide.
How To Pack A Storage Unit
Packing and storing your belongings properly will help ensure everything is safe and in good condition while you’re away.
- Use packing paper, bubble wrap and the correct boxes when packing breakables (glassware or antiques)
- Don’t use any old boxes that you find in the garage as they can easily flatten or collapse under pressure
- When packing boxes, distribute the weight evenly as partly-filled or bulging stacks of cardboard boxes may tip over
- Label all the boxes so you know where everything is
- Items such as beds, desks and tables can be taken apart or folded down
- Avoid stacking or leaning furniture against the walls of your secure storage unit as this may prevent proper ventilation
- Cover all furniture with dust sheets and remember to protect table and chair legs with bubble or foam wrap to avoid scratching
Travel And Storage Insurance
You should not undervalue or ignore self-storage insurance. It’s a vital expenditure that requires careful thought, much like travel insurance. Consider adding another layer of security and purchasing storage insurance while you’re away to protect the valuables you want to store.
It’s important to find out if the facility offers storage insurance and whether it’s included in the rental price. If it is, ask how much it covers and contact your insurance provider to find out if you require any additional cover.
At Space Centre Self Storage, we provide FREE insurance up to the value of £3,000 on every storage unit. If you need additional cover, you can use our self storage insurance provider or arrange your own. Try companies like Insurastore, Surewise and Park Insurance.
Why Frequent Travellers Should Choose a Secure Storage Unit
The primary reason more people are choosing self storage is due to its level of safety, security and versatility. While many of us used to leave our most valuable goods with friends or family when travelling for work or going on holiday, it’s not always practical or the most convenient solution.
If you use a well-known self storage business, you can be certain that your valuables will be safe and secure while you’re away. Here are some of the reasons why people should consider renting a secure storage unit when travelling.
- Security is guaranteed as storage facilities are under 24-hour surveillance
- There are no limits on the duration of the storage contract
- Affordable storage prices
- Flexible and easily accessible for items of all sizes and types
- Takes the pressure off families and friends for cluttering their space
Tips For Keeping Your Home Safe While Travelling
Home security while you’re away on holiday or travelling for business is of the utmost importance. While you could rent out your house or use it as an Airbnb or via HomeExchange, many people prefer locking it up and putting their belongings in a secure storage unit. Here are a few basic tips from security and travel experts that should help:
- Keep some curtains drawn so would-be thieves can’t clearly see into every window
- Give a friend or relative a key so they can check up on the property
- Inform the postman that you’re going away so they can return parcels to the post office
- Mow the lawn before you go
- Ask your neighbours to keep an eye on the place for anything out of the ordinary and to put the bins out for you
- Don’t tidy your home too much and leave a few things lying around
Why Choose Space Centre For Secure Storage When Travelling
Whether you’re going away for a few weeks or longer, our household storage solutions provide everything you need, including the following:
- Conveniently located storage facilities in Bristol, Stroud, Gloucester and Stonehouse
- Easy access to your unit to make loading and unloading a breeze
- Experienced and friendly staff available to assist during opening hours
- 24/7 access to your storage unit
- 24-hour CCTV and smoke alarms
- Boxes and packaging materials available for sale
If you’re planning an extended holiday or travelling for work, don’t risk leaving your belongings in the spare room, garage or shed but rather rent a secure storage unit. At Space Centre, we offer short-term or long-term units at affordable rates with free insurance and no hidden costs. Contact us today for more information about our wide range of flexible storage solutions.